See More: Articles
Oops, Need to Change Your Income Tax Return?
|Gelman, Rosenberg & Freedman CPAs is a member of CPAmerica International, an association of CPA and consulting firms that provides industry knowledge including insightful articles, to help member firms serve clients and other individuals and organizations.|
May 21, 2012
Having second thoughts about your tax return? Realize you forgot to include something important?
An amended tax return allows you to file again to correct your filing status or income or to add deductions or credits you may have missed.
Here are eight points the IRS wants you to know about amending your federal income tax return.
1. Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to file an amended income tax return.
2. An amended return cannot be filed electronically, thus you must file it by paper. Use Form 1040X to correct previously filed Forms 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.
3. Generally, you do not need to file an amended return due to math errors. The IRS will automatically make that correction. Also, do not file an amended return because you forgot to attach tax forms such as W-2s or schedules. The IRS normally will send a request asking for those.
4. Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. Generally, you must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original return or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
5. If you are amending more than one tax return, prepare a 1040X for each return, and mail them in separate envelopes to the appropriate IRS office. The 1040X instructions list the addresses for the campuses.
6. If the changes involve another schedule or form, you must attach that schedule or form to the amended return.
7. If you are filing to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original refund before filing Form 1040X. You may cash that check while waiting for any additional refund.
8. Your state tax liability may be affected by a change made on your federal return. For information on how to correct your state tax return, contact your state tax agency.
We admire Amy for her expertise in auditing and accounting. She is always available for consultations, not only during the audit process but throughout the year.
Agnes Saenz, Executive Director and Jody Eccleston | Finance Director
Community Ministries of Rockville