Even though the responsibility for sustainability and leadership transition lies with the board of directors and the organization’s leadership, succession planning is often lacking in nonprofit organizations. The perception that succession planning takes too much time and money (in addition to potential political implications) keeps many nonprofit organizations on the sidelines. However, for those who make this important investment, the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks. Organizations who implement an effective succession plan are equipped to weather unexpected departures and have a game plan for leadership transitions, which is inevitable.
Join GRF and nonprofit leadership transition expert Don Tebbe for a webinar exploring how any organization, no matter the size, can begin the process of succession planning. Participants will be introduced to the three approaches to executive succession planning and how they can create impact for the organization. The presenters will discuss how nonprofits can put in place a board-adopted succession policy and a backup plan for the executive (succession essentials) with a step-by-step guide and easy-to-use templates.
- Understand the three approaches to executive succession planning and their application
- Recognize what succession planning can do for your organization and which type would be best for your situation/needs
- A fundamental understanding of succession planning and the tools to put “Succession Essentials” in place
- Succession planning as a facilitator of talent management/strategic HR
Trevor W. Williams, CPA | GRF CPAs & Advisors | Partner, Audit
Don Tebbe | Nonprofit leadership transition expert
Don Tebbe is a leadership succession consultant and the author of Chief Executive Transitions: How to Hire and Support a Nonprofit CEO, published by BoardSource, and The Nonprofit CEO Succession Roadmap: Your Guide for the Journey to Life’s Next Chapter.
As a former nonprofit executive director and five-time interim CEO, he has experienced the challenges of leadership transitions firsthand. Since starting his consulting practice in 1993, he has helped hundreds of nonprofit leaders plan for and manage turnover in their chief executive position.
Additional Program Details
- Learning Objective: To provide attendees with a better understanding of the three approaches to executive succession planning and how they can create impact for the organization.
- Instructional Delivery Methods: Group Internet-based
- Recommended CPE: 1.0 CPE
- Recommended Fields of Study: Specialized Knowledge
- Prerequisites: None Required
- Advance Preparation: None
- Program Level: Basic
- Course Registration Requirements: None
- Refund Policy: No fee is required to participate in this session.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event that the presentation is cancelled or rescheduled, participants will be contacted immediately with details.
- Complaint Resolution Policy: GRF CPAs & Advisors is committed to our participants’ 100% satisfaction and will make every reasonable effort to resolve complaints as quickly as possible. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns.